Monday, December 3, 2012

Medical Good Faith Act...getting closer

Faith has been doing pretty well.  Jesi took her to the ER on Thanksgiving Day Eve, and I met her there to take her place and spent the night with Faith in the hospital.  This has become an annual tradition as I have spent the last 3 Thanksgiving Days with Faith in the hospital while Jesi took the kids to my in-laws for dinner.  I was able to bring her home just before noon on Thanksgiving.  She was at the very early stages of pneumonia.  Jesi caught it quickly so we got our meds and got out of the hospital quickly, and Faith is doing very well.  She is sitting on the floor right now jabbering away, and earlier she was walking with her gate trainer (all by herself when she is on the carpet).  She is cute, but so little for a girl who will be 4 years old this month.

Now to my update on the Medical Good Faith Act...We were able to get a bill created in both the Michigan State House and Senate.  It is during a lame duck session and the agenda is already set so we won't make it to the floor for a vote, but I am confident that we will get it reintroduced in both chambers during the next session.  I have already been asked to follow up in mid-January.  I am looking forward to this and believe we will succeed.  I have attached the first page of the House bill.  I would do more, but seem to have run out of space with this lovely blog space.

This bill will require hospitals and doctors to reveal their medical futility policies so parents can make informed decisions about where to receive treatment.  This will help those of us who have been lied to about available treatments for our children because a hospital or doctor simply decided on its own not to offer medical help because the treatment has been deemed futile.  Thanks, but we can decide that on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment